Making Nucs and Splits CLASS
CLASS IS FULL.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE WAITLIST, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN.
TUITION: $50 and a current MSBA membership
PREREQUISITE: Minimum of one year/season of beekeeping
DATE: Saturday, January 25, 2020 (Enrollment opens Dec. 19 at 8 am)
TIME: 9:00am - 4:00pm
LOCATION: University of Maryland / Plant Sciences Building / Room 1140 / The parking garage address is 200 Regents Drive, College Park, MD 20742 (Important parking info at bottom of this page)
CLASS SIZE: Limited to the first 70 members who enroll.
DESCRIPTION: Start making your own Splits and Nucs (and stop buying bees!). This course will cover basics of splitting and making nucleus colonies commonly used in small scale operations. We will explain the pros and cons of various methods, so you will have a full arsenal of options to keep your apiary sustainable. From Snelgrove to Disselkoen, varroa to winter woes, doubles to mating, we'll guide you through the important skills. This is a classroom setting, so no bee suits needed.
- How and when to make splits
- Splits for Varroa control
- Even splits
- Walkaway Splits
- OTS (On The Spot) Split
- Snelgrove splitting method
- Nucs as a resource
- Production nucs
- Overwintering nucs
|START TIME||DURATION||SESSION DESCRIPTION||INSTRUCTOR|
|9:00||0:30||Intro to Class, Administrivia, Why Split?, Advantages of Splitting, Timing in Maryland||Kim Mehalick|
|9:30||0:45||Science Based Reasons for Splits : Varroa Control, Healthy Hives, Statistical Information from Bee Informed Partnership||Nathalie Steinhauer|
|10:25||0:40||Even and Walkaway Splits||Mark Dykes|
|11:05||0:30||Snellgrove Method||Kim Mehalick|
|11:35||0:45||On The Spot Method (OTS)||David Clark|
|13:05||0:30||Making a Nuc in Your Own Yard / What to Look for When You Purchase a Nuc||Mark Dykes|
|13:35||0:45||Sustainable Apiary||Larry Truchon|
|14:30||0:45||Nuc Production||Jim Frasier|
|15:15||0:45||Overwintering Nucs||Bob Greenwell|
|16:00||Final Q and A with Instructors|
- Enrollment fees are non-refundable
- Light snacks will be provided
- Bringing your own lunch is recommended but the Stamp Student Union is a short walk with fast food options LINK
- If UMD is closed due to weather, the class will be postponed.
- If UMD is delayed for 2 hours, we will start ONE HOUR later, at 10 am
- Check your email for scheduling and other announcements
- To help with carpooling, All enrolled students, when logged in, will see a roster of fellow students at the bottom of this page.
PLEASE LOGIN AND YOU WILL SEE A LINK TO JOIN THE WAITLIST.
If you are not currently a member, please join or renew first.
IMPORTANT PARKING INFO:
- Please park in the Regents Drive parking garage,200 Regents Drive, College Park, MD 20742
- Please DO NOT park in the following spaces:
- Any spaces with signage such as Electric vehicle permit and Carpool permit
- Do not park on the top level. The top level is all metered spaces. Even though permit parking enforcement is lifted you must still pay for these spaces.
- Unmarked spaces. Vehicles not parked in designated spaces will be ticketed or towed
- If you have a high clearance vehicle that cannot be parked in a garage, please contact parking services at 301- 314-3687 to find alternative spaces. Ask them for the closest parking to the Plant Science Building.
- If you have any questions about parking, please contact Mark Dykes at firstname.lastname@example.org or ph. 301-458-0640