This class is over, but if you are seriously interested in attending a future NUCS & SPLITS class, login and add your name to the waitlist.
Making Nucs and Splits CLASS
PREREQUISITE: Minimum of one year/season of beekeeping
DATE: Saturday, March 02, 2019
TIME: 9:00am - 4:00pm
LOCATION: University of Maryland / Plant Sciences Building / Room 1130 / 4291 Fieldhouse Dr. / College Park, MD 20742
CLASS SIZE: Limited to the first 40 members who enroll.
DESCRIPTION: Start making your own Splits and Nucs (and stop buying bees!). This course will cover basics of splitting and making nucleus colonies commonly used in small scale operations. We will explain the pros and cons of various methods, so you will have a full arsenal of options to keep your apiary sustainable. From Snelgrove to Disselkoen, varroa to winter woes, doubles to mating, we'll guide you through the important skills. This is a classroom setting, so no bee suits needed.
- How and when to make splits
- Splits for Varroa control
- Even splits
- Walkaway Splits
- OTS (On The Spot) Split
- Snelgrove splitting method
- Nucs as a resource
- Production nucs
- Double nucs / Overwintering nucs
|9:00||0:30||Kim Mehalick||Intro to class, administrivia, Why Split?, advantages of splitting, timing in maryland|
|9:30||0:45||Nathalie Steinhauer||Science reason for splits : varroa control, healthy hives, statistical information from BIP|
|10:25||0:40||Mark Dykes||Even and walkaway splits|
|11:05||0:30||Kim Mehalick||Snellgrove method|
|11:35||0:45||David Clark||OTS method|
|13:05||0:30||Mark Dykes||Making a nuc in your own yard: what to look for when you purchase one|
|13:35||0:45||Larry Truchon||The Sustainable Apiary|
|14:30||0:45||Jim Frasier||Nuc Production|
|15:15||0:45||Phil Serafinas||Overwintering Nucs|
|16:00||--||Drive Home Safely|
- Light snacks will be provided
- Bringing your own lunch is recommended but the Stamp Student Union is a short walk with fast food options LINK
- If UMD is closed due to weather, the class will be postponed.
- If UMD is delayed for 2 hours, we will start ONE HOUR later, at 10 am
- Check your email for scheduling and other announcements
- To help with carpooling, All enrolled students, when logged in, will see a roster of fellow students at the bottom of this page.